As we approach one of the busiest times of the year, Yorba Linda Police Services encourages residents to consider the following tips to stay safe through the holiday season.
While you’re out
- Always be alert and aware of your surroundings and others around you;
- Avoid taking bags or belongings to your vehicle in order to free your hands for more shopping. If you are observed, your vehicle may become a target for crime;
- Have packages delivered to a location where someone will be available to accept them instead of being left unattended on your porch;
- Never leave your purse or shoulder bag in a shopping cart. Always keep your belongings with you at all times;
- Park only in well-lit and highly visible areas;
- Before vacationing, stop your mail or make arrangements with a trusted neighbor for pick-up. Ensure they know how to reach you in an emergency;
- Request free “Vacation Home Check” services from Yorba Linda Police Services. As time permits, our deputies will check the perimeter of your home while you’re away; and
- Avoid posting status updates on social media sites that advertise you are away from home.
For your home:
- Never leave doors or windows open or unlocked while you’re away, including second-story entries. Always remove valuables from your vehicle, roll-up windows, and lock your car;
- Don’t leave outgoing mail in an unsecured mailbox. Outgoing mail should be dropped in a secure post office box or at the post office. Remove delivered mail from your home mailbox as soon as possible;
- Avoid displaying gifts or leaving valuables at home where they can be seen from doors or windows. Adjust window coverings to provide optimal privacy while allowing good visibility of outside areas;
- Place interior lights on timers to avoid coming into a dark home and to provide the appearance that someone is home;
- Never leave keys hidden under doormats or potted plants; and
- Report all suspicious people and activities when they are observed.
Remember to report any suspicious person or activity at the time of observation to Yorba Linda Police Services' 24-hour non-emergency line at 714-647-7000. Upon calling, select the option for “Sheriff’s dispatch” to speak with a live call-taker. For a crime in progress, dial 911.