Criminals look for opportunities with the lowest risk. Don't make it easy! These simple preventative steps go a long way toward reducing the frequency of burglary and theft in our community:
- Do a home check to ensure all doors and windows properly lock;
- Never leave doors or windows unlocked while you are away;
- Consider installing motion-activated lighting and a security system to deter thieves;
- Keep shrubs and trees properly trimmed to increase visibility;
- Consider installing security film on your windows;
- Lock all side gates that provide access to your backyard;
- Keep your garage door closed when you're not in or around the garage area; and
- Keep all outdoor storage areas, including those in carports, locked.
Finally, contact OCSD if you see anything suspicious or dangerous on the non-emergency line at 714-647-7000 or 949-770-6011. To learn more, visit OCSD's website.