The last year has been recorded as California's driest in nearly a century! In response, the State Water Resources Control Board recently adopted an emergency regulation restricting the irrigation of all non-functional turf areas for all commercial, industrial, and institutional properties as of June 10. The Control Board provided exceptions for functional turf areas such as parks, trees planted in turf, and areas irrigated with non-drinkable water.
STAGE 2 Water Shortage Contingency Plans
In addition to the adopted emergency regulation for turf areas, local water providers have enacted Stage 2 of their water conservation contingency plan. Two water providers serve the City of Yorba Linda: the Yorba Linda Water District and Golden State Water Company. Each provider has its own way of implementing its water conservation contingency plan for customers.
Yorba Linda Water District
YLWD adopted Stage 2 water restrictions that became effective June 14, 2022, including the following:
- Restrictions prohibit the watering of “non-functional turf,” or turf that serves only ornamental purposes in the commercial, industrial, home-owner associations, and institutions sectors for 1 year;
- The non-functional turf irrigation restrictions do not apply to homeowners;
- Voluntary reduction of use by 20% as compared to 2020 consumption;
- YLWD does not have specific restrictions on your water use. Customers can decide the best way to conserve water; and
- For any questions or additional information regarding YLWD restrictions please visit ylwd.com or call 714-701-3000.
Golden State Water Company
GSWC adopted Stage 2 water restrictions and a 20% water conservation objective that became effective June 26, 2022. These water restrictions would include the following:
- Restrictions prohibit the watering of “non-functional turf,” or turf that serves only ornamental purposes in the commercial, industrial, home-owner association, and institutions sectors for one year;
- All customers are required to reduce use by 20% compared to use in 2020;
- All customers in GSWC service area will be required to reduce outdoor irrigation to two days per week between 5 p.m. to 9 a.m. Outdoor watering days will be scheduled by addresses ending in odd or even numbers per the table below.
|Addresses Ending in:||Watering Days:|
|Even Numbers (0, 2, 4, 6, 8)||Sunday, Wednesday|
|Odd Numbers (1, 3, 5, 7, 9)||Tuesday, Saturday|
- GSWC customers who do not meet the mandatory 20% reduction may be charged a drought surcharge; and
- For any questions or additional information regarding GSWC restrictions, please visit gswater.com or call 800-999-4033.
We must all do our part to protect our most precious resource. The City will comply with YLWD and GSWC's requirements. Our primary objective is to reduce water use while minimizing the impact on landscaped areas. Fortunately, the City has focused heavily on the modernization and implementation of water savings upgrades and projects and is working hard to continue delivering the quality landscaping that residents of Yorba Linda expect.