With more people staying at home during the COVID-19 pandemic, there are more vehicles than normal parked on streets or in driveways. Yorba Linda Police Services is seeing a trend of thefts where people are leaving their vehicles unlocked and their belongings are being stolen. When it comes to reducing crime and maintaining a safe community, you are the key! Please follow these vehicle security tips:
- Always lock vehicle doors, roll up windows, and bring keys inside. Be mindful that newer cars with keyless fobs can be unlocked when the fobs are kept within close proximity to the vehicle, even indoors.
- Remove all valuables and visible items whenever you leave your vehicle. If you need to, lock your valuables in the trunk before arriving at your destination.
- When out, park in open, well-lit, populated areas.
- At home, park in a secured garage.
- Install a locking fuel cap.
- Never leave your vehicle running while unattended.
Should a burglary or theft occur, report it immediately. Remember to stay alert and aware of your surroundings and others around you. Please report suspicious persons and activity. Yorba Linda Police Services’ non-emergency dispatch line can be reached at 714-647-7000. For emergencies, please call 911.