Small Business Relief Program
Please read the Small Business Relief Program Award Update Press Release for current information on the status of relief grant awards.
Please note: The application deadline has passed, new applications are not being accepted.
At a Special Meeting of the City Council on May 27, 2020, the City Council unanimously approved the immediate creation of the Yorba Linda Small Business Relief Program, with the goal of providing relief grants to upwards of 175 businesses residing in Yorba Linda that had been negatively affected by COVID-19.
The City is pleased to announce that the vast majority of small businesses that applied for the program and met the minimum qualifications will be awarded a relief grant. Applicants can expect to receive a check for $8,000 in the next few days. While the program was originally envisioned to provide $10,000 grants to nearly 175 businesses, the City received so many applications that, in order to usefully spread the funds as widely as possible and avoid the need to create a lottery, the City decided to fund nearly every qualifying application it received
Businesses qualified to participate in the Small Business Relief Program, must meet all of the following eligibility criteria:
- A for-profit Yorba Linda business, within city limits;
- Business must be physically located in a commercial, office or industrial space;
- Full-time equivalent (FTE) employee count between 1-25, including the business owner;
- Businesses encouraged to adopt and implement State and County guidelines for safe operating, including social distancing, sanitization, limiting occupancy, etc
- Business must have a current City business license;
- Business must submit a City application and required supporting documentation; and
- Business must be in good standing with the City of Yorba Linda.
Additionally, the business must demonstrate that they have been negatively impacted as a result of COVID-19. A business will be deemed eligible if they meet the above criteria and can claim any one of the following circumstances has caused undue hardship on their business operations:
- The business was forced to shut down due to the State’s Stay at Home mandate;
- The business’ revenue is down 25% or more in comparison to the three months prior to Covid-19; or
- The business has laid off at least one of its employees, either full-or part-time staff.
The Small Business Relief Program envisions a maximum award amount of $10,000, which will assist an estimated 175 small businesses. Should there be slightly more than 175 businesses apply and qualify under the program guidelines the City Manager may determine that the grant amount should be lowered slightly in order to award all applicants an equal share of funding. However, should the number of eligible applicants far exceed the available funds, then the award of funding may be determined through a lottery process.
The program application went live on Monday, June 1 for businesses to begin submitting their applications electronically via email and concluded on Wednesday, June 3rd at 8:00 a.m. This short window of accepting applications allows City staff to review and determine eligibility as quickly as possible. Those businesses being awarded a grant will receive a check in the mail.
For more information or questions regarding the Small Business Relief Program, please email Pam Stoker or call our Economic Development team at 714-961-7105.