Modified Building Operations During COVID-19
Effective Monday, March 23, 2020
For any general Building Division related inquiries, please contact the Building Division’s main telephone line at 714-961-7120 during regular business hours. A staff member will be available to assist you and/or direct your inquiry to the appropriate individual.
Building Plan Submittal/Plan Check & Plan Check Re-submittals
The Building Division will be accepting new project submittals and plan check re-submittals at City Hall on Tuesdays and Thursdays during normal business hours by appointment only. Please coordinate directly with a Building Permit Technician to set appointment times and discuss paper-based transaction protocol. You may contact the Building Division to initiate the process at 714-961-7120.
OnLine Submittals & Permitting
Certain project types may be submitted and permitted entirely online. These include:
- AC/FAU Installs & Change-outs
- Duct Work
- Electrical Service Upgrades
- Lath & Stucco
- Minor Electrical Work
- Minor Interior Remodels
- Plan Check/Permit Renewals
- Sewer Lines
- Solar Panels
- Water/Gas Piping
- Water Heaters
- Window replacements
Please coordinate directly with a Building Permit Technician for online permit processing by contacting the Building Division main telephone line at 714-961-7120.
Generally, building inspections will continue to be conducted as normal, with the exception of interior occupied residential inspections, which will be done as Virtual Inspections (see below). To schedule an inspection, please call the Building Inspection Hotline at 714-854-7411 use the Online Building Inspection Request tool. If you are unable to schedule an inspection using the hotline or web scheduling tool, please contact the Building Division at 714-961-7120 to schedule.
Virtual Inspections (VI)
For interior occupied residential inspections, the City will be using various Virtual Inspection (VI) methods, including applications such as Microsoft Teams, Facetime, video footage of the areas of inspection, or a similar approach. Please work directly with your assigned Building Inspector to set up a VI inspection. Types of inspections that are eligible for Virtual Inspection (VI) include:
- Drywall Nailing or Screwing
- Duct Work
- Interior Lath
- Minor Framing or Shear*
- Minor Interior Footings*
- Shower Pans
- Simple HVAC Change Outs
- Smoke & Carbon Monoxide Detectors
- Water Heaters
- Water Re-pipes
- Window Replacements
*Minor/small projects consist of interior remodels with spread footings, post to beam connections, interior shear walls, etc. which can easily be visually verified through a smartphone or tablet device. Projects that are considered more complex in nature will be evaluated by the Senior Building Inspector and the Building Official for virtual inspection eligibility.
Note: If during a virtual inspection there are major deficiencies in workmanship or discrepancies from the approved plans, the inspector shall have the right to cancel the inspection and reschedule an onsite inspection at a later date.
When a virtual inspection “passes,” Building staff will update the City’s database and send an email expressing the same to the contractor/homeowner client to serve as documentation that an inspection has been approved by the City. Once City operations return to normal, the client may obtain final “sign-off” of the inspected item on the job card upon request from the inspector.
If the type of inspection you are requesting is not on the above list and you would like to determine if it can become eligible, please contact the City of Yorba Linda Building Division at 714-961-7120.
- Plan submittal/plan check and permitting fees will need to be paid prior to commencement of plan check and/or issuance of permits.
- Payments may be made by personal or corporate check or by credit card. Payments greater than $10,000 will need to submitted by check.
- If paying by check, please coordinate with your Building Permit Technician to determine total fee amount and submit along with your plan submittal package, or you may send your check payment by US or overnight mail to 4845 Casa Loma Avenue, Yorba Linda CA 92886.
- If paying by credit card, staff will direct you on payment instructions via the City’s Payment Portal. You will have to insert your assigned permit/plan check number as the “Reference Number” in the appropriate field. You will receive a payment confirmation from the Payment Portal system, which may be forwarded to your Building Permit Technician to confirm payment of fees.
If you have any questions regarding Modified Building Operations during COVID-19, please call the City of Yorba Linda Building and Safety Division at 714-961-7120.