Modified Building Operations During COVID-19
Effective Monday, July 13, 2020
For any general Building Division related inquiries, please contact the Building Division’s main telephone line at 714-961-7120 during regular business hours. A staff member will be available to assist you and/or direct your inquiry to the appropriate individual. If you are planning a new construction project and have a need to meet with a Building Division representative directly, you may schedule an appointment Monday through Thursday between 8:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
Large project meetings can be conducted either in person here at City Hall by appointment, or by scheduling electronically via Zoom or other electronic meeting platforms. Please work with a Building Division staff member to schedule meetings.
Building Plan Submittal/Plan Check & Plan Check Re-submittals
The Building Division will be accepting new project submittals and plan check re-submittals at City Hall Monday through Thursday during normal business hours by appointment only. Please coordinate directly with a Building Permit Technician to set appointment times and discuss paper-based transaction protocol. You may contact the Building Division to initiate the process at 714-961-7120.
- When you arrive at City Hall for your appointment, please scan the QR code on the sign at the entrance, or text "Here" to 714-386-7911 and wait outside for an associate to contact you.
OnLine Permitting and plan check
In order to continue our successful online permitting services, the Building and Safety Division will permanently be accepting electronic permit applications and plan reviews. However, due to a high volume in activity, increased counter appointments, limited staffing, we will only be accepting the following items for online submittals at this time. These include:
- Air Conditioning and Heating Units;
- Electrical Service Panel Upgrades;
- Electrical Vehicle Charging Stations;
- International Association of Plumbing and Mechanical Officials and International Code Council pre-approved plans;
- Re-Piping, this includes all gas, water, drain, waste and vent piping;
- Re-Roofs with like for like roofing. No engineering calculations for increased roof loading due to a change in roofing material;
- Roof Mounted Photovoltaic Systems; and
- Water Heaters
All items requiring plan review shall adhere to the following requirements at the time of submittal or be returned for revisions:
- Plans shall be drawn to scale, legible with no free hand sketching and available for 11" x 17" legible printing;
- Pages shall be numbered correctly;
- No flattening issues;
- Plans shall be electronically stamped and signed as required;
- No locked PDF files;
- All software shall be compatible with the City’s system; and
- International Association of Plumbing and Mechanical Officials and International Code Council submitted plans, shall have all non-applicable details, notes and other non-applicable items removed, or crossed out. Custom site-specific engineered plans are not considered I.A.P.M.O or I.C.C. plans.
Please complete a Building Permit Submittal Form (PDF). Once completed, please email to firstname.lastname@example.org. An email confirmation response will be sent. If you have any further questions, contact the Building Department at 714-961-7120.
Building Permit Technicians are limited to 2 hours per day to process on online applications. Due to our current workload and review times, initial applications may take up to ten (10) City observed working days to process. Additional wait times may be added for incomplete applications, accuracy of information provided on plans, outer departmental approvals and incorrect payment processing. Please note, the inefficiencies may be discovered on the 10th working day during processing.
Once an application is approved for permit processing, the Building Permit Technician confirms the cost of the permit and then emails the applicant the cost and forms to be completed. The applicant must have the ability to print, sign and scan the documents, no phone photos will be accepted, due to clarity issues. If the scanned items are not clear, or correct, the items will be sent back to the applicant for reprocessing. Once the forms are completed and sent back, and correct payment is processed, the permit is then issued.
If an application is for plan review, the Building Permit Technician processes the application, reviews the plans for completeness and then sends to a Plan Check Engineer for review. There is a fifteen (15) workinig day review time and re-check time. If plans are deemed incomplete, they will be sent back for revisions. Please note, this may be on the 15th working day that inefficiencies are discovered.
Plans that are not legible on 11" x 17" printing and require larger printing must be brought to City Hall with two paper sets of stamped and or signed plans and calculations for processing. Please allow a minimum of 15 working days for the plan check process.
Once a plan check is approved, the permit is processed. The Building Permit Technician confirms the permit cost and emails the applicant the amount and forms to be completed. Once the correct payment is processed, the forms are completed and sent back, the plans are emailed back to the applicant with an issue permit.
Generally, building inspections will continue to be conducted as normal, with the exception of interior occupied residential inspections, which will be done as Virtual Inspections (see below). To schedule an inspection, please call the Building Inspection Hotline at 714-854-7411 use the Online Building Inspection Request tool. If you are unable to schedule an inspection using the hotline or web scheduling tool, please contact the Building Division at 714-961-7120 to schedule.
Virtual Inspections (VI)
For interior occupied residential inspections, the City will be using various Virtual Inspection (VI) methods, including applications such as Microsoft Teams, Facetime, video footage of the areas of inspection, or a similar approach. Please work directly with your assigned Building Inspector to set up a VI inspection. Types of inspections that are eligible for Virtual Inspection (VI) include:
- Drywall Nailing or Screwing
- Duct Work
- Interior Lath
- Minor Framing or Shear*
- Minor Interior Footings*
- Shower Pans
- Simple HVAC Change Outs
- Smoke & Carbon Monoxide Detectors
- Water Heaters
- Water Re-pipes
- Window Replacements
*Minor/small projects consist of interior remodels with spread footings, post to beam connections, interior shear walls, etc. which can easily be visually verified through a smartphone or tablet device. Projects that are considered more complex in nature will be evaluated by the Senior Building Inspector and the Building Official for virtual inspection eligibility.
Note: If during a virtual inspection there are major deficiencies in workmanship or discrepancies from the approved plans, the inspector shall have the right to cancel the inspection and reschedule an onsite inspection at a later date.
When a virtual inspection “passes,” Building staff will update the City’s database and send an email expressing the same to the contractor/homeowner client to serve as documentation that an inspection has been approved by the City. Once City operations return to normal, the client may obtain final “sign-off” of the inspected item on the job card upon request from the inspector.
If the type of inspection you are requesting is not on the above list and you would like to determine if it can become eligible, please contact the City of Yorba Linda Building Division at 714-961-7120.
- Plan submittal/plan check and permitting fees will need to be paid prior to commencement of plan check and/or issuance of permits.
- Payments may be made by personal or corporate check or by credit card. Payments greater than $10,000 will need to submitted by check.
- If paying by check, please coordinate with your Building Permit Technician to determine total fee amount and submit along with your plan submittal package, or you may send your check payment by US or overnight mail to 4845 Casa Loma Avenue, Yorba Linda CA 92886.
- If paying by credit card, staff will direct you on payment instructions via the City’s Payment Portal. You will have to insert your assigned permit/plan check number as the “Reference Number” in the appropriate field. You will receive a payment confirmation from the Payment Portal system, which may be forwarded to your Building Permit Technician to confirm payment of fees.
If you have any questions regarding Modified Building Operations during COVID-19, please call the City of Yorba Linda Building and Safety Division at 714-961-7120.