- City Hall
- Economic Development
- Retail Enhancement Program
Retail Enhancement Program
Overview & Objectives
The City of Yorba Linda has established the Retail Enhancement Program to encourage owners of a retail business, shopping center, or business association within a retail district, to improve the retail environment within the city. The establishment of such a program would allow eligible applicants to apply for a small grant to enhance, attract and/or encourage business patronage.
Applicants must meet the following criteria to be eligible to apply:
- Owner of a retail business (ie. retail storefront, eatery or restaurant, service-oriented business), a shopping center (ie. local or regional retail center), or a business association within a retail district (ie. Savi Ranch Freeway Business Association, Main Street Merchants Association).
- Legal property owner(s) must consent to enhancement, improvement or event.
- Building tenants must demonstrate that they have secured a lease for a minimum of three years and have obtained consent from the property owner.
- City business license must be current
- City permits required, when applicable
- Property must be free from code violations, liens, judgments, fees, and/or outstanding property taxes
- Each business/ property owner or association may receive grant funding only once per calendar year.
- Identify a specific need for enhancement, improvement or upgrade to A) the exterior of a building or common area OR B) a special or community business-related event that as a result will create at least one of the following public benefits:
- Greater or enhanced shopping opportunities
- Enhanced retail environment
- Improved aesthetics to encourage patrons
- Increased sales tax generation
The following are examples of eligible improvements, enhancements and events that may qualify for a Retail Enhancement grant:
- Improvement or enhancement to building facades or storefronts, such as awnings, signage, lighting, paint, windows, doors, planters, etc.
- Retail center improvements to common areas, such as monument signs, lighting, paint, landscaping, planters, etc.
- General exterior lighting and landscaping improvements
- Correction of code violations to the exterior of a business
- Implementation of a business-oriented event that addresses one of the public benefits previously listed
Non-eligible examples include, but are not limited to:
- General building repairs and maintenance items
- Architectural, engineering or design fees
- Permit fees
- Interior improvements
- Historical restorations
- Projects completed prior to application approval
Program funding is limited. Applicants will be processed on a first come, first qualified basis. The City of Yorba Linda retains the right to reject or postpone applications based upon priorities, funding availability, and/or a project’s failure to meet eligibility requirements.
Retail Enhancement Program grant applications must be submitted, along with any requested documentation, to the City of Yorba Linda, Economic Development Division, which is located at Yorba Linda City Hall:
4845 Casa Loma Avenue
Yorba Linda, CA 92886
Application packet should include:
- Completed Retail Enhancement Program Application (PDF)
- Project description, plans, conceptual drawings, or photos (if applicable)
- Project budget and bids or qualified estimates of the requested enhancement, along with explanation of necessity.
The City of Yorba Linda Economic Development Division will notify applicant about the status of approval within 15 business days of submittal.
Upon approval of the grant request, the project or event must commence within 60 days. Grant funds will be released to applicants as reimbursement after completion of project or event, evidence payment, and proof of completion. All documentation, including invoice, receipts and post project photos, shall be submitted for review before grant funds are released
Forms & Documents
Download the Retail Enhancement Program Application (PDF)
Download a printable version of the Retail Enhancement Program Guidelines (PDF)