Electric Vehicle Charging Stations (EVCS)
Expedited Permitting Process For Electric Vehicle Charging Stations (Evcs)
There are two types of Electric Vehicle chargers - Level 1 and Level 2. An Electric Permit may be required to install an Electrical Vehicle Charging Station. Please see Level 1 and Level 2 for descriptions.
Level 1 chargers are smaller units that plug directly into a standard 120-volt receptacle outlet. These types of chargers do not require a permit from the Building Division as long as there are no changes to the electrical system to provide the 120-volt receptacle. Any changes to an electrical system require a permit prior to commencing the work.
Level 2 charging systems require a 240-volt electrical circuit. Level 2 charger installations typically require an electrical permit and inspections of the installation. In order to obtain the permit, you will need to provide some basic information demonstrating electrical service capacity for the added load.
*Please open the following PDFs in Chrome in order to enable all form functions:
- Only complete the items that apply to your project on the application. This includes job site address, assessor’s parcel number (APN#), owners name, etc. If there is no contractor, architect, or engineer, then indicate N/A. Note: All applications must include the following additional information noted below and may be amended by the Eligibility Checklist requirements found in item (3).
- Provide a site plan that is drawn to scale and with full dimensions and the following information:
- Location and size and use of all structures on site.
- Location and size of the electrical panel for the charging system.
- The type of charging system required for the unit.
- Indicate if mechanical, or non-mechanical ventilation is required and where it would be installed as part of the permit.
- Electrical load calculation worksheet.
- Any additional information required from the checklist(s) below in item (3) should also be included.
- Project conformance with the eligibility checklist for expedited permitting: These checklists have been developed to help streamline the permit, installation, and inspection process. As you complete the applicable checklist, you will be guided as to what plans, documents, or information are necessary for submission.
Plan Check And Permit Submittal Process
- Submit materials via one of the following methods:
- Over the Counter Submittal – Please bring your completed permit application, checklist, electrical load calculations, and your site plan to City Hall. The submission shall be done by the owner or a licensed contractor and submitted to the Building and Safety Division at the Yorba Linda City Hall; or
- Electronic Submittal – A completed application, checklist, electrical load calculations, and site plan shall be submitted by email to firstname.lastname@example.org for processing.
- Plan Review – An electronic or in-person submittal will be processed within fifteen (15) business days of the submittal date.
- Fees – Certain fees are adjusted periodically by the State of California with the remaining fees based on the City of Yorba Linda current adopted fee schedule. Please confer with your assigned Building Permit Technician upon submittal for fees.
- Inspections - Once all permits have been issued and work has begun, you must call for a rough electrical inspection. Once the inspector provides an approval, you may proceed to the completion of the project and installation of the Electric Vehicle Charging Station. Once a final inspection is conducted and approved by the City inspector, the permit is deemed final and complete.