Council Member Gene Hernandez
- City Council, 2012-Present
- Mayor, 2018, 2015
- Mayor Pro Tem, 2017, 2014
About Council Member Hernandez
Council Member Gene Hernandez is passionate about serving the community through hands-on community volunteerism and world humanitarian travel. Born and raised in Burbank, California, Council Member Hernandez is a third generation Californian and a 34-year resident of Yorba Linda.
Prior to his retirement, Council Member Hernandez worked in law enforcement for 34 years, retiring as the Chief of Police for the City of Chino, a position in which he served from 1998 to 2006. Before serving the City of Chino, Council Member Hernandez served the City of Orange, where he attained the rank of Captain after serving the Department in a variety of capacities, including: Detective, Motor Officer, SWAT Team Member and Team Leader, Accident Investigator, and Project Manager for the then new Orange Police Facility. His law enforcement career began in the City of Fullerton.
Council Member Hernandez received a Master of Science Degree in Management from California State Polytechnic School, Pomona and a Bachelor of Arts Degree in Administration of Criminal Justice From San Jose State University. He is a graduate of Class 15 of the California POST Command College and Class 154 of the F.B.I. National Academy.
Council Member Hernandez has been married for 49 years to his wife, Louise, and has three children and five grandchildren; two families residing in the City of Yorba Linda and one in Orange.
Current Regional Government and Committee Involvement
- Association of California Cities - Orange County Division -3rd District Director
- Association of California Cities - OC Water Committee
- Association of California Cities – OC Legislative and Regulatory Committee
- League of California Cities - OC Division, Vice-Chair
- League of California Cities – Public Safety Committee
- Orange County City Selection Committee
- Orange County Council of Governments
- OC Fire Authority – Past Chair and current Director
- Orange County Transportation Authority – 3rd District Director
- Senior Citizens Advisory Council-Executive Committee, Member at Large
- Senior Citizens Advisory Council-Housing/Transportation Sub-Committee Vice Chair
- Wheelchair Distribution Projects - Puerto Vallarta, Hermosillo, San Carlos, and Guaymas, Mexico, 2004 & 2012
- Water Well Project, Zambia, Africa, 2005
- Rotary Group Study Exchange Team Leader, District 1910 - Austria, Hungary, Croatia, Slovenia, and Bosnia-Herzegovina, 2006
- Corazon Home Builds, Tecate, Mexico, 2007-2012
- Rotary International District Governor, District 5300, 2008-2009
- National Immunization Days in India (distribution of polio vaccines), 2008-2012
- Rotarian for 34 years in the Rotary Clubs of Orange and Chino
- Rotary International Polio Vaccine Distribution-Caborca, Mexico, 2012-2019
- Boy Scouts of America Exploring Committee – 2018-Current)