Short-Term Rentals

A short-term vacation rental (also called a vacation rental or STR) is a rental of a residential dwelling unit or accessory building for periods of less than 30 consecutive days. Short-term rentals (STR) are allowed in the City of Yorba Linda, but are limited to property owners operating within residential zoning districts and who have complied with the City's requirement to obtain a business license and transient occupancy registration certificate. 

Use of Short-Term Rentals

The short-term rental market has experienced substantial growth in recent years in large part due to the increased use of online hosting platforms such as AirBnb, VRBO, Homeaway, Flipkey, and many others. While diversified lodging options are needed for visitors and create revenue opportunities for homeowners, the City has regulations in place per the Yorba Linda Municipal Code (YLMC) to ensure the interests and needs of everyone in the community are heard and balanced.


Short-term rental operators are required to pay both an annual business license tax and a quarterly Transient Occupancy Tax (TOT) per Chapter 5.08 and Chapter 3.28 of the YLMC. These ordinances apply to all properties (including rooms and guest houses whether or not detached) rented for less than 30 consecutive days. If you (as the owner or tenant) are considering hosting short-term rentals, please carefully review the City's requirements and guidelines for short-term rental operators.

application process for Rental operators

  • Step 1: Apply for a Business License.
    • You can apply for a business license online. Please select “rental property" for business type.
    • You can also submit the Business License Application (PDF) in person or by mail with fees due. Please note "Short Term Rental" and include any other necessary information (i.e. number of bedrooms renting) in the "Description of Business" line.
  • Step 2:  Upon approval, the short-term operator will be issued a business license, transient occupancy registration certificate, and a Good Neighbor Brochure (PDF), which are to be posted on the rental premises.
  • Step 3: Remit your Transient Occupancy Tax (TOT) to the City of Yorba Linda on a quarterly basis via the online TOT portal or submit the TOT Form (PDF) with payment to the Finance Department. 

TOT Quarterly Remittance 

Chapter 3.28 of the YLMC requires all short-term rental operators within the City to remit a 10% Transient Occupancy Tax (TOT) to the City on a quarterly basis. View detailed information on Transient Occupancy Tax and instructions for remitting your TOT


Any violations of the Yorba Linda Municipal code are subject to code enforcement and law enforcement action. Complaints regarding a suspected illegal short-term rental or one causing nuisance can use any of the following methods:

  • Call 9-1-1, if it is an emergency (such as fire, medical emergency, suspicious activity, etc)
  • For non-emergency concerns, use our Report a Code Violation Form (highly encouraged). 
  • You can also contact the City directly by calling the Community Preservation hotline at 714-961-7138. 
    • You may leave a voicemail  24 hours a day. 
    • Please provide information regarding the address of the property, a description of the nature of the activity, and any other relevant information. 
    • Complaints may be filed anonymously; however, your contact information will help expedite the process and allow our staff to contact you to discuss your complaint in detail.