Property Maintenance

The City's Municipal Code is designed to protect the residential atmosphere of your neighborhood as well as to prevent unsafe and unsightly use of property.  By reporting violations of our codes, you allow us to work together to achieve the quality of life everyone wants to enjoy in Yorba Linda. Those who own, lease, or occupy buildings or property are responsible for maintaining the property. Some common types of nuisance violations are indicated below.

Common Violations


  • Overgrown vegetation which causes harm to neighboring properties or causes unsafe conditions for those walking or driving.
  • Dead trees or weeds that are unsightly and unsafe are likely to provide a home for rodents or insects.


  • Swimming pools, ponds, or other standing water which is unsanitary or stagnant, or without self-closing gates or fences.
  • Dry or dead shrubs, trees, or combustible materials may constitute a fire hazard.
  • An obstacle or part of the landscape that obstructs the view of street signs, signals, or other directional signage


  • Items, such as rubbish, debris, machinery or parts, furniture, inoperable vehicles, yard waste or junk of any kind are considered refuse/waste. The following is required:
    • Containers for trash and recyclables must be stored in an area not visible from the street. Such containers should be placed at the curb no earlier than 4:00 p.m. the day preceding scheduled pickup and removed by 8:00 p.m. on the day of service.
    • Scavenging or removing items from containers for trash and recyclables is prohibited.
  • Free bulky item pick-ups can be scheduled per address each calendar year by contacting Republic Services.


  • Noise created by construction or building repair is exempt from code requirements during the hours of 7 a.m. - 8 p.m. from Monday – Saturday. No construction related noise is allowed on Sunday and Federal Holiday’s.
  • Noise related to residential property maintenance such as, but not limited to, lawn maintenance is exempt from these restrictions.


  • Using any building, or a portion of any building for living, sleeping, cooking, or dining is permitted only if it was built and approved for that purpose.
  • Occupancy in a garage as a living area is prohibited.
  • Using a nonresidential building, or any portion of that building, requires the approval of a Certificate of Use and Occupancy.

Fire Hazard conerns

Potential fire hazards related to buildings or vegetation are reported directly to Orange County Fire Authority. Orange County Fire Authority administers these concerns through their fire hazard complaint / referral form, which can be accessed on OCFA's website.