Projects Not Requiring a Permit
- Projects for 1-story detached accessory structures, provided the floor area does not exceed 120 square feet (11.15 m2) do not require a permit. However, be sure to contact the Planning Department Counter for specific property line setback requirements at 714- 961-7130.
- Fences not over 6 feet (1,829 millimeters) high, and are not a part of an existing swimming pool barrier fence. Be advised, however, that height limitations of the City of Yorba Linda Zoning Code are still applicable. Contact the Planning Department Counter at 714- 961-7130 for assistance in defining height limitations.
- Movable cases, counters and partitions not over 5 feet, 9 inches (1,753 millimeters) high do not require a permit.
- A permit is not required for retaining walls which are not over 4 feet (1,219 millimeters) in height measured from the bottom of the footing to the top of the wall, unless supporting a surcharge or impounding flammable liquids.
- A permit is not required for water tanks supported directly upon grade if the capacity does not exceed 5,000 gallons (18,925 liters) and the ratio of height to diameter or width does not exceed 2 to 1.
- A permit is not required for platforms, sidewalks, and driveways not more than 30 inches (762 millimeters) above grade and not over any basement or story below and are not part of an accessible route.
- Painting, papering, tiling, carpeting, cabinets, counter tops and similar finish work do not require a permit. A permit is required if project involves the removal or replacement of sinks, electrical related items, or drywall is involved. Be sure to contact the Building Department Counter for specific requirements at (714) 961-7120.
- A permit is not required for a temporary motion picture, television, and theater stage sets and scenery.
- A permit is not required for window awnings supported by an exterior wall of Group R, Division 3, and Group U Occupancies when projecting not more than 54 inches (1,372 millimeters) from the exterior wall and do not require additional support.
- Prefabricated swimming pools accessory to a Group R, Division 3 Occupancy that are less than 24 inches (610 millimeters) deep, do not exceed 5,000 gallons (18,925 liters) and are installed entirely above ground. Be sure to contact the Planning Department Counter for specific setback requirements at (714) 961-7130.
Unless otherwise exempted, separate plumbing, electrical and mechanical permits will be required for the above exempted items.