West Bastanchury Site
The original property consisted of a total of 40 contiguous acres, located on the north-west side of town. The lower 13 acres was purchased by Shea Homes August 31, 2021 leaving the remaining 27 acres as the last large piece of City-owned and undeveloped property left in the City. The upper 27 acres are currently vacant and include previous project grading and mitigated oil well sites. These acres are also referred to as the Option Site, which includes deed restrictions. As described in the Option Site agreement this site is limited to public use type facilities. The City obtained and purchased portions of the property in pursuit of future public and/or private use. The City’s goal for the property is to maximize development opportunities and ensure that it is compatible and complementary to adjacent residential areas and Vista del Verde Park. This can be accomplished through various options available to the City, such as: leasing all or a portion of the site for public use, building City and/or community facilities on all or a portion of the site, or selling all or a portion of the site.
The West Bastanchury Site property fronts Lakeview Avenue to the north and is bordered by Vista del Verde Park on the north-west with residential property to the west and east. The parcels are split as follows:
- Northerly 7.5 acre parcel fronting Lakeview Avenue, known as the "Tank Farm Site" (part of the restricted Shell development Option Site)
- Centrally located 19 acre parcel (also part of the restricted Shell development Option Site), referred to as the "Main Site"
previous City Council Reports on West Bastanchury
- December 11, 2014 (PDF) - City Council Workshop Agenda
- Technical Assistance Panel Scope of Work (PDF) by ULI
- Archived Letters of Interest (PDF)
- List of Emailed Suggestions (PDF)
- Notice of Intent (PDF)
- Initial Study and Mitigated Negative Declaration (PDF)
- IS/MND Appendices (PDF)
Potential Future Process
- The City Council may direct staff to re-evaluate the contiguous upper 27-acres, referred to as the "Option Site." Options are to sell or lease all or a portion of the site; build City and/or community facilities (public use) on all or a portion of the site; or continue to explore and consider opportunities to swap or sell the property or parts thereof in exchange for more appropriate "public land uses" elsewhere within the City or sphere of influence.