Transportation Permits

Transportation Permits are issued to regulate oversize/overweight vehicles in order to:

  • Maintain the integrity of streets or other infrastructure
  • Avoid the use of streets where conflicting construction activity, closures, or special events are occurring
  • Ensure the streets are capable of accommodating the proposed weight of vehicles and loads

Apply For a Permit

A Transportation Permit Application (PDF) must be submitted in order to receive a transportation permit. Transportation permit applications may be:

  • Submitted to Yorba Linda City Hall
    Public Works Counter
    4845 Casa Loma Avenue
    Yorba Linda, CA 92886
  • By email to
  • Please download the form and fill using Adobe. Do not fill the form in a browser.
  • Remember to attach the Certificate of Liability

Permit Documents


Transportation permits are required for all vehicles exceeding the limits of a legal load, as defined by the California Vehicle Code (CVC), and must be carried in the permitted vehicle at all times when said vehicle is being operated on Yorba Linda public streets. The dimensions of a legal load are up to 14 feet in height, 8½ feet in width, 65 feet in length, and 80,000 pounds gross weight. Further, the City of Yorba Linda designates certain streets as having a maximum weight limit of 60,000 pounds gross weight.  


Transportation permits may be required in conjunction with construction projects within the public right-of-way. Such projects include but are not limited to slurry seal, wheelchair access ramps, storm drains, street rehabilitation, and repaving. Types of equipment typically used in the course of construction include, but are not limited to:

  • Back-hoe
  • Cold planning machine
  • Dump trucks
  • Paving machines
  • Rollers
  • Skip loader
  • Street sweepers
  • Water trucks

Moving of Manufactured Housing

Transportation permits are also required for the moving of manufactured housing. In addition to transportation permits, pilot cars may be required for the movement of certain oversize/overweight equipment, materials or manufactured housing.

Bodily Injury & Property Damage Insurance Policy

A valid policy of Bodily Injury and Property Damage Insurance, with expiration date, is required for vehicles operating on public roadways. The minimum policy limit is $500,000 combined single limit coverage. The Certificate of Insurance must name the City of Yorba Linda as "additional insured" on separate page, endorsement CG20 form and there must be a "30-day written cancellation clause." 

The cancellation language must be exactly as follows, unless authorized by the City Attorney's office:

  • "Should any of the above described policies be cancelled before the expiration date thereof, the issuing company will mail 30 days written notice to the certificate holder named to the left." (Please note that "endeavor to mail" is not acceptable.)

Transportation Permit Policy

Permittees must also read and sign a copy of the Transportation Permit Policy.

Business License

In addition, the applicant must possess a current City of Yorba Linda business license. Exemptions to this requirement are when the carrier is driving through the City and does not stop within City limits. Another type of exemption is a "Vehicle for Hire" and the designation is made by the State. Applications for business licenses may be obtained from the Finance Department at 714-961-7140.

Grading & Encroachment Permits

Dirt hauling that is associated with a grading permit shall obtain an encroachment permit for moving earth materials (dirt, sand, gravel, etc.) on public streets.


Type of Permit
Single Trip Transportation Permit
Encroachment Permit for Dirt Haul $53

Other agencies are not exempt from permit fees.


The State of California Vehicle Code authorizes local authorities to permit the operation and moving of vehicles and loads upon highways within each jurisdiction.  Assembly Bill Number 1849 amended Sections 35781 and 35795 of the Vehicle Code to require a standard permit form and fee in compliance with Caltrans requirements.

Division 15, Chapter 5, Article 6 of the CVC permits the City of Yorba Linda to issue special permits to operate or move a vehicle or load exceeding the maximums specified in the CVC. A transportation permit issued by the City of Yorba Linda is only valid for streets in the City of Yorba Linda.

Transportation Permits may not be issued for travel on city streets during certain holidays, hours of darkness, weather conditions, or peak traffic hours.