Park & Trail Permits

Use of motorized vehicles within City parks and on City trails is limited and requires a permit for temporary access per Section 12.20.025 of the Municipal Code. The applicant shall provide specific information and will be asked for the intent of the permit to verify the purpose for the access as follows:

  • The proposed use which would require the permit
  • The duration of the temporary use
  • Proof of property access hardship
  • Vehicle make/model and license number
  • Name and drivers license number of the designated driver
  • Proof of valid auto insurance including $1,000,000 umbrella insurance coverage

Staff will then assign a designated trail segment/park location for the permit and a designated route for the applicant to use for the proposed use. The permit will be assigned to only the specific driver and vehicle provided by the applicant. Commercial vehicles are also required to obtain a permit. 

Trash service, delivery service, and equestrian services from the trail will be discouraged if the applicant can reasonably obtain the services from other access points to the property. These services will be reviewed on a case by case basis for each applicant. Commercial services shall provide a wear and tear fee for use of the trail system.  

Typical Uses for Park & Trail Permits

  • Equestrian loading/unloading
  • Equestrian services including trash bin services and horse shoe and feed delivery
  • Access to adjacent properties or adjacent trails for equestrian related activities
  • Access to motorhome/boat storage (not stored on City property)
  • Access for routine gardener/property services (no parking on the trail)
  • Material or product deliveries

Encroachment Permit Versus a Park & Trail Permit

Use of a park or trail to access adjacent properties such as construction, tree trimming, yard clearing, for one-time deliveries, for temporary use, or for short term storage of materials shall require an encroachment permit.

Policies E-5

Encroachment onto City-Owned Property, Easements, and Right-of-Way

City Council Policy E-5: Encroachments and uses within City Easements (PDF) establishes guidelines and procedures for issuing permits for encroachments onto City-owned property, easements, and right of way. Typical purposes of City easements are access, drainage, storm drain, and underground structures/utilities. 

The policy describes the encroachments as temporary, long term, and permanent. Fixed, permanent structures or improvements that encroach upon City easements are not allowed, except in those instances where there is no significant impact on the City easement involved, and/or where it is not practical to formally vacate such easement. 

The policy identifies the term “no significant impact” as an encroachment of one foot or less onto a City-owned property, easement, or right-of-way, which does not deprive the public from the normal use and enjoyment of the remaining property/easement or adversely impact the purpose of the easement. Any permanent easement encroachment request over the one-foot limit is subject to a vacation request or other action required by City Council.