Encroachment Permits

About Encroachment Permits

Encroachment permits are required from property owners and utility companies for any work conducted in the public right-of-way or on City-owned property or easements. Encroachment Permits allow a licensed contractor to work within the City’s right-of-way or easements and are inspected by the City.

Public Right-of-Way

Public right-of-way typically includes driveway approaches, sidewalks, culverts, parkways, trails, and streets. For any improvements or any situation where you or your contractor plans to encroach upon the public right-of-way (such as concrete work, brickwork, landscaping, and traffic control in the street/sidewalk/ public area), an encroachment permit is required in advance. Never assume your property ends at the curb or sidewalk in front of your home. It is best to verify your property line or City easement prior to any construction activities by contacting the Public Works Department. Large construction trash bins and moving containers are generally prohibited from the public right-of-way for sight visibility and safety reasons.

Apply for a Permit

Encroachment permits are not over-the-counter permits; these permits require review and approval prior to work. It can take up to two weeks to issue an encroachment permit, depending on the type of work being done; please plan accordingly. The following are the general requirements to apply for a permit:

  • Encroachment Permit Application (PDF)
    • Please download the form and fill using Adobe. Do not fill the form in a browser
  • Basic Insurance Requirements (PDF)
  • Site plan showing the location, dimension, nature of the proposed work, and any other details which may be required by the engineer (two copies)
  • Traffic control plan (when required)
  • Pavement Moratorium may prohibit encroachment on recently paved or slurry-sealed streets

Please submit the encroachment request to our Public Works email address at pwpermits@yorbalindaca.gov


The cost of an Encroachment permit is based on the permit fee, inspection fee, and deposit (when applicable) as determined by the Public Works Fees (PDF).


Encroachment Onto City-Owned Property, Easements, and Right-of-Way

City Council Policy E-5: Encroachments and uses within City Easements (PDF) establishes guidelines and procedures for issuing permits for encroachments onto City-owned property, easements, and right-of-way. Typical purposes of City easements are access, drainage, storm drain, overhangs, and underground structures/utilities. 

The policy describes the encroachments as temporary, long-term, and permanent. Fixed, permanent structures or improvements that encroach upon City easements are not allowed, except in those instances where there is no significant impact on the City easement involved and/or where it is not practical to formally vacate such easement. 

The policy identifies the term “no significant impact” as an encroachment of one foot or less onto a City-owned property, easement, or right-of-way, which does not deprive the public of the normal use and enjoyment of the remaining property/easement or adversely impact the purpose of the easement. Any permanent easement encroachment request over the one-foot limit is subject to a vacation request or other action required by City Council.

Underground Service Alert

Please be sure to visit Underground Service Alert of Southern California (USA) to have underground public utilities marked near any work site that will involve excavation at least two full working days before excavation is scheduled to begin.