Mayor Gene Hernandez
- Mayor, 2018, 2015
- Mayor Pro Tem, 2017, 2014
- City Council, 2012-Present
About Mayor Hernandez
Mayor Gene Hernandez is passionate about serving the community through hands-on community volunteerism and world humanitarian travel. Born and raised in Burbank, California, Mayor Hernandez is a third generation Californian and a 32-year resident of Yorba Linda.
Prior to his retirement, Mayor Hernandez worked in law enforcement for 34 years, retiring as the Chief of Police for the City of Chino, a position in which he served from 1998 to 2006. Before serving the City of Chino, Mayor Hernandez served the City of Orange, where he attained the rank of Captain after serving the Department in a variety of capacities, including: Detective, Motor Officer, SWAT Team Member and Team Leader, Accident Investigator, and Project Manager for the then new Orange Police Facility. His law enforcement career began in the City of Fullerton.
Mayor Hernandez received a Master of Science Degree in Management from California State Polytechnic School, Pomona and a Bachelor of Arts Degree in Administration of Criminal Justice From San Jose State University. He is a graduate of Class 15 of the California POST Command College and Class 154 of the F.B.I. National Academy.
Mayor Hernandez has been married for 49 years to his wife, Louise, and has three children and five grandchildren; two families residing in the City of Yorba Linda and one in Orange.
Current Regional Government and Committee Involvement
- Association of California Cities - Orange County
- Association of California Cities - OC Water Committee
- League of California Cities - OC Division
- Orange County City Selection Committee
- Orange County Council of Governments
- OC Fire Authority
- Oversight Board of the Successor Agency to Yorba Linda Redevelopment Agency
- Senior Citizens Advisory Council
- Southern California Association of Governments
- Yorba Linda Chamber of Commerce
- Wheelchair Distribution Projects - Puerto Vallarta, Hermosillo, San Carlos, and Guaymas, Mexico, 2004 & 2012
- Water Well Project, Zambia, Africa, 2005
- Rotary Group Study Exchange Team Leader, District 1910 - Austria, Hungary, Croatia, Slovenia, and Bosnia-Herzegovina, 2006
- Corazon Home Builds, Tecate, Mexico, 2007-2012
- Rotary International District Governor, District 5300, 2008-2009
- National Immunization Days in India (distribution of polio vaccines), 2008-2012
- Rotarian for 32 years in the Rotary Clubs of Orange and Chino