Council Member Gene Hernandez
- City Council, 2012-Present
- Mayor, 2018, 2015
- Mayor Pro Tem, 2020, 2017, 2014
About Council Member Hernandez
Council Member Gene Hernandez is passionate about serving the community through hands-on community volunteerism and world humanitarian travel. Born and raised in Burbank, California, Council Member Hernandez is a third-generation Californian and a 35-year resident of Yorba Linda.
Prior to his retirement, Council Member Hernandez worked in law enforcement for 34 years, retiring as the Chief of Police for the City of Chino, a position in which he served from 1998 to 2006. Before serving the City of Chino, Council Member Hernandez served the City of Orange, where he attained the rank of Captain after serving the Department in a variety of capacities, including: Detective, Motor Officer, SWAT Team Member and Team Leader, Accident Investigator, and Project Manager for the then-new Orange Police Facility. His law enforcement career began in the City of Fullerton.
City Council Member Hernandez received a Master of Science Degree in Management from California State Polytechnic School, Pomona, and a Bachelor of Arts Degree in Administration of Criminal Justice from San Jose State University. He is a graduate of Class 15 of the California POST Command College and Class 154 of the F.B.I. National Academy.
Mayor Hernandez has been married for 51 years to his wife, Louise, and has three children and six grandchildren: all families residing in the City of Yorba Linda.
Current Regional Government and Committee Involvement
- Association of California Cities - Orange County, 3 District Representative
- Association of California Cities - OC Energy, Environment, and Water Committee Chair
- League of California Cities - OC Division Chairman
- Orange County Council of Governments, City Liaison
- OC Fire Authority, Past Chair, current Director
- OC Transportation Authority, Director
- Senior Citizens Advisory Council, Vice-Chair
- Southern California Association of Governments
- Wheelchair Distribution Projects - Puerto Vallarta, Hermosillo, San Carlos, and Guaymas, Mexico, 2004 & 2012
- Water Well Project, Zambia, Africa, 2005
- Rotary Group Study Exchange Team Leader, District 1910 - Austria, Hungary, Croatia, Slovenia, and Bosnia-Herzegovina, 2006
- Corazon Home Builds, Tecate, Mexico, 2007-2012
- Rotary International District Governor, District 5300, 2008-2009
- National Immunization Days in India (distribution of polio vaccines), 2008-2012
- Rotarian for 35 years in the Rotary Clubs of Orange and Chino